Well I got my wish. Yesterday turned out to be colder than anticipated and it's supposed to be in the 60s this weekend. Yay for Fall weather! Now it's time to make some scarves to keep us warm!
Finger weaving (aka finger knitting) was something I did when I was younger and have taught some of my older students (5 & 6 yr olds). It's a really nice activity to do while sitting around watching a movie, listening to music or just relaxing. It can be very calming, especially for kids after they've gotten the hang of it.
It's easy! Go make some scarves this weekend!
Here's an adorable video of little boy teaching you how to knit on a homemade loom! We'll have to try this next.
get to work:
Four Finger Version:
1. Lay the yarn across your index finger and wrap it behind your middle finger and over your ring finger.
2. Wrap the yarn back across your pinky, behind your ring finger and over your middle finger.
3. Continue this pattern until you have two loops of yarn on each finger.
4. Starting at the pinky, take the bottom ring and pull it over the top loop. Continue through to the index.
5. Re-wrap the yarn, figure eight style back around your fingers and begin again.
6. Once you're finished cut the string and run it through both of the bottom loops (there should only be one loop per finger at this point). Remove from your fingers and pull tight.
Two Finger Version (easier for younger kids and beginners):
1. Begin as you did in the Four Finger Version, but stop the yarn behind the middle finger.
2. Wrap the yarn back over the middle finger and behind the index.
3. Wrap the yarn around the index and behind the middle finger.
4. Wrap the yarn again around the middle and behind the index.
5. Starting with the middle finger, take the bottom loop over the top loop and repeat this step with the index finger.
6. Repeat the figure eight motion around the fingers, creating two loops and then pulling the bottom loop over the top loop.
7. Once you're finished cut the string and run it through both of the bottom loops (there should only be one loop per finger at this point). Remove from your fingers and pull tight.
The completed project makes a nice scarf, or bracelet, or belt. The possibilities are endless.